< Zentenism
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Disappointment
Despite all attempts of hard work and chionging, I have missed my target savings for this month. The month haven't ended and I have already spent more than what I should be spending. This is seriously bad!!! Considering the petrol bills which I am likely to foot towards the end of March when dad goes to china, and basic living expenses, projected savings will be at least 25% short of target. Now i am praying that my teaching salary is understated. Haiz.
Ok. No more bowling for the month of March (gonna miss out on the $2/game offer for march...sob!). No more extravagent dinning. Kelvin, forget about buying the Mio peadant.Haiz, my income isn't as high as I expect. Guess I am gonna have a hard time trying to fork out money to dye my hair next month when my income decreases. Now i seriously pray I can get the business analyst job. Must buck up for the interview.
I went for one that day, and had a feel of strollign along shenton way in the morning. Wah, it really feels different compared with going to JTC. Haha. Maybe someday I will get to work at some Wall Street company. That will seriously be exciting.
While talking with Wenhui and Jieren yesterdat, I started to think that my father is really being unrealistic, with reference to my sister's future. I don't want to be a wet blanket so, I shall let her go ahead and try what she wants. Anyway, this is a summary:
With the release of my sister's A level results, she is stuck in a situation of deciding what next. She has the option of trying for a local U or a private one. I personally advise on getting a diploma or degree through a part time or full time private school. My sister's stand is that she can get into a programme with NIE, which pays for full term of studies through the four years and pays 1600/month for the first 2 years. She will graduate with a degree in education. If she feels like dropping out of MOE after a 4 yrs bond, she will be a geographer(or something like that).
This is my blog so i believe I have the right to statre my views without being a wet blanket. As her brother and as the messiah of Zentenism, I uphold the idea that one should encourage another to carry on his/her will even if one does not believe it is best for him/her.
My dad is quite proud of her for her suppossed good planning. This I cannot concur. Firstly, it is unrealistic, considering how well MOE is paying for the scheme. full years studies, monthly pay for first 2 years? It sure sounds like some scholarship. And even SAF scholarship doesn't pay that much monthly allowance. Please remember also, the stringent selection process involved. How accurate is the information on the teaching scheme? Upon graduation, her pay will rise to around 3000 plus at the 4th year of bond. Waoh! That is fucking alot of money. Common sense starts to vomit the truth: If such a scheme is really in existent and the pay is so good, why should people with straight As be paying thousands a year to get professional degrees in Law, Accountacy, Chem engineering, Architecture and the list goes on. Comparing the above scenarios, why are people slogging away to get a 3k pay after 4 yrs of studies. You get my drift? POI: An accountant pays around 3-4k after 4 yrs of increment. Okk, assuming the information is accurate, I being to wonder what are the chances of her successfully qualifying for the MOE scheme? I won't be amazed to find people with fantastic results appling for it as well if it really pays that well.
Assuming she does come out with the expected pay and degree in education but somehow wishes to switch line, I believe she will run into the problem of not being able to find a job because of the type of degree she is holding. And, we all know, civil servants are not worth that much in terms of value when they attempt to cross over to the private sector. Now, what really amuses me is that my father, with his self-proclaimed foresight fail to see this. Does he sincerly believe that my sis can be a geographer and go around the world doing research like she said? Maybe as a research assistant. But even then, chances are she will still need the relevant qualifications. And we all know such jobs are really hard to come by. We can drop the idea of her being a researcher cos who is going to fund her, for research? Without at least a Masters?
My take is that if my sis is really not keen on furthering her studies in a Uni, she should go forth and find a proper job. She is doing pretty well at Goodwood right now. Why not consider a shatec course or something like that and then get a firm job there? The pay is decent and with my sister's extrovent character, she will do well in the service line. Even then, she should plan ahead for future upheaveals. Part time school to get a diploma at least?
What really disappoints me and makes me feel like speaking up is my dad. I think it is time he realises that he is losing the lustre he once use to have. He is not as sharp as he used to be in terms of his reasoning and evaluation of situations. This does put me in a dilemma. I wish to speak up because it is my sister's future I am talking about here. But I don't want to discourage her by telling her that singapore is no fairy tale world. You need a cert to get a stable job. And to get a cert, you got to be up to the minimum requirement. And lastly, as a girl, it is socially accepted if you just get married and live off your husband as a housewife. This is not discrimination!!! This is a fact of life.
Its time my dad realises that this is highly competitive world. There are always poeple fighting for the same job and school as you. If everything is so smooth sailing, I will be studying neuroscience in UK already won't I? I wasn't bitter when I couldn't realise my dream. I accepted the fact that despite having good grades, I lost to people who were better and hence couldn't get a scholarship. You gotta be versatile and adapt accordingly to survive. No? You can't just keep planning and then try to stick to your plan without realising that you are not alone. It is no more about competing with yourself to be at your best. You got to outwin others. And so my father thought I was being unrealistic and not practical when I want to take exams for a CMFAS cert!! And he said there is no free lunch when I told him I was applying for internship!!! Gosh!!! What irony!!?? What was he think!!??
Haha. Ween invited us to her post birthday party this sunday!! yeah. Sound fun!!!

- posted by zente at 6:33 AM


In Lucien's Library
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
February 2008
May 2009

navigation
ClubLifeZenZonManchiSarahAngelWongJuanYangZiYang

counter hit make
View My Stats