< Zentenism
Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Quiet moments
My present job gives me a great deal of time with myself. I must say that besides reading forbes, I occupy my time with healthy procrastination as well. Yesterday, I took some time sorting out an unresolved issue. I believe my mind is clear now, being able to see what's best for myself. I should be fair to myself, without being mean to anyone. Promises I have met, I should keep. I should not give in to spurts of emotions. Neither should I put imagination into potraying the future. That is totally bad. Life is too short to worry, but I doesn't give us the right to hurt anyone or break our promises.

Today, a manager(I am not too sure who he is) was talking to Doreen who will be leaving veloxity soon. His words were filled with experience. Valuable words of experience which may be irrelevant to me now, but which definitely will be of use in the future. I was glad he didn't mind my presence though it was their conversation. And then I got to speak with Livia, who gave first hand insight on being an accountant. She took time to explain the job prospects after graduation and I was quite thankful. The thought of changing my smu course to Business and Econs struck me. Why spend 4 years getting an accounting degree when you can do it in 2 years with ACCA, which is of an equal if not higher level. If I do that, I will have to mug through my first 2 years to get my ACCA and by year 4 when I graduate, I will have a total of 3 qualifications. I questioned the need for that. Infact, if I seriously want to chiong, I can bia the IBF exams in year 3 and 4. By the time I graduate at the age of 24, I will have the following:
A Degree in Business and Econs, ACCA qualifications, CFA license. Impressive it will be but I guess it is not necessary. I does open up my choices but with no experience, I won't go far. So I have come to a conclusion that I will take my time. Ideally.
Year 1 -AFP
Year 2 -4 Get my Degree in Business, double major in Banking/Finance/Marketing
Degree in accountancy
Pass the level 6 IBF exam to qualify for a CFA license
Post graduate: 3 Years in an accounting firm (auditor or accountant? Hmm?)
27 yrs old: Go to a smaller audit firm working at a management level. Meanwhile, work towards MBA
30 yrs of age and still raging: Management position in investment banking sector
35 and still a bull: Business maybe? If not a high level job in a financial company.
40 and golden: Show what I am really made of.

Well, all this are idealised plans. I am quite certain I won't get to stick by them. But I will try to run along this lane of progression. Keep pushing the limits. One thing I learnt though my experience talking and working with entrepreneurs, ambition is necessary but being realistic is a must. Infact, the worlds most successful businessmen didn't start doing business till they were in their late thirties. I used to believe that starting early and equipped with the right entrepreneurial spirit, one will succeed. That is Sim Wong Fu, but being realistic, he got lucky when he invented the sound card. Bill gates struck gold with MS-DOS. There are more, but thats about it. Li Ka-Shing, Trump, Bill Ford, Soros and the many more Kings of MNCs, they started off smart, working their way to the top. Contacts make or break a business plan and it takes years to establish a name for yourself before it would be easy to start up a firm. You can invent a teleporting device tomorrow, but without the right contacts, you will probably get swallowed by some big corps. That is the real world. Think big, but know that big is for the future, knowing your next step is more than enough.
Hmm...Time to sleep and work tomorrow?

- posted by zente at 7:23 AM


In Lucien's Library
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
February 2008
May 2009

navigation
ClubLifeZenZonManchiSarahAngelWongJuanYangZiYang

counter hit make
View My Stats